Following are instructions to get either a certified or a non-certified copy of a Minnesota Death Certificate.
To Obtain a Certified Copy of a Minnesota Death Certificate:
If the person died in Minnesota between January 1, 1997 to the present:
The death certificate is on a statewide vital statistics system through the Minnesota Department of Health located in our office.
If the person died in Minnesota before January 1, 1997:
You will need to obtain a certified copy from the county in which they died or the county where they resided at the time of the death.
Death Certificate Application in Person
- You may appear in person at the Vital Statistics Department nearest you in the State of Minnesota.
- You may call the facility to make sure the name is on the State Vital Statistics System.
- When you arrive you will need to complete a Death Certificate Application (PDF) and present valid photo identification such as your driver's license. (A Death Certificate Form certifies your right to a copy of the death certificate for that person.)
- The fee will be $13 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy requested for the same record.
Death Certificate by Mail
- You must complete the Death Certificate application by mail and sign the form in front of a Notary Public. You will need to show the Notary Public a valid photo identification such as a driver's license.
- Send $13 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy requested for the same record. Make check payable to Rice County Recorder.
- Send the completed Certificate Eligibility webpage Form and correct dollar amount to the address listed on the bottom of the Certificate Eligibility webpage Form.
To Obtain A Non Certified Copy by Mail
- Complete the Noncertified Death Record Transcript Application (PDF)
- Make a $13 check payable to Rice County Recorder.
- Send form and check to:
Rice County Recorder
320 NW Third Street
Faribault, MN 55021