Health Promotion & Wellness
Promoting Healthy Communities
Rice County Public Health offers a wide variety of health education programs for schools, worksites, and community groups. Staff members work collaboratively with many organizations and groups in the community to create policies, systems, and environmental changes which promote and protect the health of the residents of Rice County. View a list of Rice County Healthy Living Resources (PDF).
WellConnect is a hub for evidenced-based healthy living classes in Rice County and Southern Minnesota. It is easy to search for a program or learn more about programs by going to www.wellconnectsemn.org. The workshop schedules are always changing, so check back if you don't find what you are looking for.
Visit the Rice County Chemical Health Resource Directory
Visit the Rice County Mental Health Resource Directory
Tobacco Information & Resources
Did you know that 70% of smokers want to quit? View a short video about free QUITPLAN Services.
Tobacco Cessation health Coverage in Minnesota - Click here
Quick Facts on the Risks of E-Cigarettes - Click here
Electronic Cigarettes Whats the Bottom Line (PDF)
MDH Health Advisory: Nicotine and Risk of Addiction for Youth - Click Here
U.S. Surgeon General Advisory regarding E-Cigarettes and Youth and MDH recommendations – Click Here
Health Promotion Activities
- Chronic Disease Prevention - asthma, cancer, diabetes
- Diet and Nutrition - nutrition education, community gardens, farmers markets
- Health Care Access - help for under-insured and uninsured in accessing health care in Rice County
- Healthy Home Environments (PDF) - home assessments and education
- Home Safety - home safety instruction for injury and fall prevention
- Indoor Air quality - radon, environmental tobacco smoke, mold
- Mental Health - promotion activities, resources
- Physical Activity and Healthy Weight - promotion of parks and recreation, non-motorized transportation, healthy lifestyle
- Sun Safety - use of Dermascan to show sun damage
- Tobacco Use Cessation - prevention activities, carbon monoxide monitor, QUITPLAN Minnesota
- U of M Children, Youth and Family Consortium Video "Mental Health: Yours, Mine and Ours"
Air Quality Information
BeAirAwareMN.org is a website to help you protect your health and improve air quality. It provides information on indoor and outdoor air quality, tips on what you can do to improve air quality, and links to data on air quality and health outcomes in Minnesota. Real-time data available about air quality conditions in Minnesota for common pollutants including fine particles and ozone. This website is jointly maintained by the Minnesota Department of Health and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Testing for radon is easy, inexpensive and only takes three to five days. The best time to test is during the heating season, but testing can be done year-round. Free test kits are available at the Rice County Public Health, located in the Government Services Building in Faribault, 320 Third Street Northwest. and also at the Northfield office, at 801 Washington Street.
For more information about radon visit: Minnesota Department of Health.