What can I do with a worthless check?

Rice County does prosecute worthless checks passed in Rice County if they meet certain criteria. The Sheriff's Office however is not a collection agency. The check writer when prosecuted may be found guilty of a misdemeanor, which could result in a fine, and/or restitution for the check as ordered by the court. To obtain the forms and instructions, you may contact the Sheriff's Office Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm either in person or by calling 507-332-6023. Post-dated checks, second/third party checks etc., checks accepted to hold, checks given as payment on an account, stop payment checks, checks in which partial payment has been received, and rent checks are not considered criminal and therefore cannot be prosecuted.