What are the Rice County Section 8 Wait List Preferences?
Definitions of Preferences
Resident of Rice County:
Families that have permanent, sole place of residency in Rice County at the time of application.
- Acceptable proof includes current lease, and/or bill less than 30 days old (phone, credit card, utility, etc).
An applicant/spouse/partner/other adult who is working at the time of application.
- Acceptable proof includes paystub or offer letter less than 30 days old.
Family whose head, spouse or sole member:
- Has a disability as defined in Section 223 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C.423), or
- Is determined by HUD regulations to have a physical, mental or emotional impairment that:
- is expected to be of long, continued, and indefinite duration;
- substantially impedes his or her ability to live independently; and
- is of such a nature that such ability could be improved by more suitable housing conditions, or
- Has a developmental disability as defined in Section 102 if the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act (42 U.S.C. 6001 (5)).
The definition of a person with disabilities does not exclude persons who have the disease acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) or any conditions arising from the etiologic agent for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (HIV). However, for the purpose of qualifying for low income housing, the definition does not include a person whose disability is based solely on any drug or alcohol dependence.
Verification must include one or more of the following:
- Verified by a knowledgeable professional source that the person meets this criteria, using the exact working in the HUD definition.
- Receipt of Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income.
- Original SSA notice confirming SSI payments.
Elderly: An applicant or spouse who is sixty-two (62) years of age or older.
There are no events scheduled at this time.