Victim/Witness Coordinator

The victim/witness coordinator provides assistance to victims and witnesses involved in either adult or juvenile court processes. Vanessa Eng can be reached by calling: 507-332-6103 or by email at:

Victim Services

Victim assistance efforts include advocacy and support throughout the criminal proceedings.  Minnesota law grants numerous rights to victims of crime, including:

  • The right to be notified of plea negotiations, changes in scheduling of court appearances, including date, time and place of sentencing.
  • The right to be notified of a decision not to prosecute a domestic assault or harassment case.
  • The right to be present at sentencing and to object orally or in writing to a proposed plea agreement or sentence.
  • The right to be notified of the final disposition of the case.
  • The right to request that law enforcement keep your identity confidential from the public. The agency may comply if you are a victim of sexual assault or your personal safety or property is threatened.

A victim impact statement is also an important component of victim's rights.  It provides the victim with an opportunity to give information to the judge to consider at sentencing and allows the victim to express the pain, anguish and devastation caused by the crime.  These statements can be in writing or presented orally in court by the victim, the victim/witness coordinator or the prosecutor.  More help on preparing the statement is available in the Victim Impact Statement brochure.

A more complete listing of victims' rights is included in the Crime Victim's Rights (PDF) brochure.

Financial assistance may be available from the State of Minnesota, if the victim has suffered economic loss as a result of violent crime.  Victims are also able to request that the court order the defendant to pay restitution.  Restitution & Reparation (PDF)

Victim Assistance Links

Numerous websites provide information that may be useful if you have been a victim of a crime.  These Victim Assistance Links range from state agency notification services to advocacy organizations.

Witness Services

If you are a witness in a proceeding and have questions, either the prosecutor assigned to the case or the Victim/Witness Coordinator should be able to answer questions.  You may also find helpful Tips for Witnesses.


Victim/Witness Program Survey

The Rice County Victim/Witness Program would like to get your input on the services you have received. Please take this quick 10 question survey to let us know how we are doing.


24 Hour Crisis Referral Services:  Dial 211 (or) 651-297-2100