Statewide Health Improvement Program (SHIP)
Watch a video about how SHIP works: Making the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice
SHIP is about creating good health for parents, kids and the whole community, by decreasing obesity and reducing the number of people who use tobacco or who are exposed to tobacco smoke.
To do this, SHIP uses strategies from the best researchers around the country, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The strategies are both effective and long-term.
Since it began in 2009, SHIP has created greater opportunities for better health throughout Minnesota.
SHIP helps make healthy choices easier.
Why SHIP Matters
SHIP focuses on increasing physical activity, improving nutrition and reducing the number of people who use tobacco or are exposed to it.
- 27.2% of Rice County residents are obese - caused by insufficient physical activity and unhealthy eating - increasing risk for heart disease and diabetes, among other chronic illnesses.
- 11.2% of adult Rice County residents smoke cigarettes, leading to various cancers and heart disease.
- Obesity and tobacco use and exposure are significant contributors to the two leading causes of death in the County, cancer and heart disease.
Prevention Pays Off
SHIP is designed to reduce health care costs and improve community health by reducing the risk factors that most contribute to chronic disease.
- In Minnesota, medical expenses due to obesity were approximately $2.8 billion in 2009.
- Tobacco use and exposure cost us $2.5 billion in 2014.
Take a look at what we've been doing locally:
• Greenvale Park Elementary Community School (Community Meals & Open Gym)
• Faribault Middle School (Breakfast Cafe)
• Peace Lutheran Church Community Garden (Community Based Agriculture)
• Northfield Community Resource Center (Workplace Wellness)
• Friendship House (Bike Library & Community Based Agriculture)
Information & Questions
For more information or questions, contact Josh Ramaker, SHIP Coordinator, at (507) 332-5911 or email: email@example.com
There are no events scheduled at this time.