Reusable Shopping Bags for Your Holiday Shopping
As you finish up your holiday shopping and head to the grocery store to shop for your holiday meal, don’t forget to bring your reusable bags.
• It is estimated that Americans use roughly 100 Billion plastic shopping bags every year!!
• It takes 12 million barrels of oil to make the bags Americans use each year.
• The average American uses between 350 and 500 bags annually.
• Both paper and plastic bags cause environmental harm.
• Producing paper bags causes air and water pollution.
• Plastic bags can be difficult to recycle, take a long time to degrade, are a constant litter problem and can harm wildlife.
Think Reusable!!! Reusable Shopping bags provide several benefits:
• Multiple Use
• Reduce Waste
• Don’t Rip or Tear
• Easier to Carry
Reusable bags are also make great holiday gifts and are great alternative to wrapping paper!
Make sure to keep your reusable bags in the car so you don’t forget them at home!! If you are determined to use disposable bags, consider reusing the bags for garbage or recycle them. In Rice County you can recycle plastic bags by placing them all inside one plastic bag and placing in your single sort recycling bin. Please do not place other items in the plastic bags before placing in the recycling bin.
Please feel free to email any questions regarding waste reduction or recycling to RCSolidWaste@co.rice.mn.us
Brad Behrens, Rice County Environmental Technician, (507) 332-6833
Julie Runkel, Rice County Environmental Services Director, (507) 332-6113