Real Estate Recording Systems: Document Standards
Minnesota Statutes 507.093 Standards for Documents to be Recorded or Filed (in part)
The following standards are imposed on documents to be recorded with the County Recorder or filed with the Registrar of Titles:
- The Document shall consist of one or more individual sheets measuring no larger than 8.5 in. x 14 in.
- The form of the Document shall be printed, typewritten or computer generated in black ink and the form of the document shall not be smaller than 8-point type.
- The Document shall be on white paper of not less than 20-pound weight with no background color, images or writing and shall have a clear border of approximately one-half inch on the top, bottom and each side.
- The first page of the Document shall contain a blank space at the top measuring three inches, as measured from the top of the page. The right half to be used by the County Recorder or Registrar of Titles for recording information and the left half to be used by the County Auditor and/or Treasurer for Certification.
- The title of the Document shall be prominently displayed at the top of the first page below the blank space referred to in clause (4).
- No additional sheet shall be attached or affixed to a page that covers up any information or printed part of the form.
- A Document presented for recording or filing must be sufficiently legible to reproduce a readable copy using the County Recorder's or Registrar of Title's current method of reproduction.
NOTICE: Please make sure that all ink on Notary stamps is DARK and LEGIBLE. Scanning systems do not pick up light stamps. Documents will be returned for re-stamping if seal is not dark and legible.