The Rice County Highway Department staff strive to provide the safest winter driving conditions possible.
Snow & Ice Control Policy
Help Us Help You
- Please remove vehicles from the streets when it snows.
- Please do not plow snow from private drives onto county roads.
- Snow and ice removal is a difficult and time-consuming job. Patience is appreciated as County staff works to restore the streets to safe winter driving conditions.
Plat Development Review
We welcome you to the Rice County Highway Department Plat/Development Review process. This collaborative process between the County Highway Department and the County Planning & Zoning Department is being implemented to recognize and support the planned and orderly development and redevelopment of the County. Vital to accommodating development is a strong infrastructure system, which includes the County Highway System. It is important that the County Highway System be improved and maintained to be a viable transportation network. A safe and efficient Highway System is not only essential for the traveling public, but also the economic vitality of local communities and businesses. Maintaining this safe and efficient Highway System can be better achieved through the combined efforts of city, township, and county planning and zoning actions and our development review process.
Our goal is to assist you and to help make the development process as economical and efficient as possible for all concerned. The Plat/Development Review Committee process has been developed and is intended to provide you with an advisory review of the development proposal through a sketch plan, without incurring major costs. This packet of information will assist you in understanding the County Highway Department’s review process and provide the framework for achieving timely and agreeable development reviews. The packet includes three sections:
- When to Apply, Review Process & Basis of Review – this section guides readers through what actions trigger a development proposal review, steps in the review process, and the major content items that will be considered when reviewing the proposed development.
- Plat/Development Review Committee Application – the application form that must be submitted for the development proposal to be reviewed.
- Plat/Development Review Committee Application Submittal Requirements – items that must be prepared and submitted for an application to accepted as complete. This information serves as the basis for discussions between the Developer, County, City/Township, and Minnesota Department of Transportation, when appropriate.
The County Highway Department is the primary contact throughout the review and approval process. The County Planning & Zoning Department may also be involved to review land use and permit approval requirements.
We look forward to working with you throughout the process.
Dennis Luebbe, Rice County Engineer, (507) 332-6110
Julie Runkel, Rice County Planning and Zoning, (507) 332-6113
Plat/Development Review Committee:
Adopt-a-Highway is a public service program for volunteers to pick up litter along Minnesota's roadways.
Thank you for your interest in providing volunteer litter clean up along our County roads.
Rice County Permit form and Terms and Conditions
Please read the terms and conditions carefully.
We will assign roadway segments to groups on a first come first serve basis. Every attempt will be made to assign segments requested but in the event of conflicts, the closest available road segment will be offered to your group.
Our program does not provide the blue and white recognition sign which you may have seen along other highways because of the sign cost. We will install the sign if the sign purchase and installation costs ($150.00 per sign) are included with the permit application. A group desiring signs may request a sign at either or both ends of the segment.
If you desire to participate in the Adopt-a-Highway Program, please fill out the permit form and return it to the Rice County Highway Department, 610 N.W. 20th Street, Faribault, MN 55021.
We look forward to successful roadside litter clean up efforts and would appreciate your participation.
Adopt-a-Highway Program for the State of Minnesota
The State of Minnesota Adopt-a-Highway program asks community groups, churches or businesses to adopt a highway by picking up litter on both sides for at least two years.
For a class looking for an environmental project that is shorter term, Pick-a-Highway is a one-time litter picking activity on an assigned segment of state highway. Mn/DOT will provide the bags, vests, training, and bag retrieval. You contribute approximately four hours of labor.
Adopt-a-Highway from MNDOT
June 02, 2015
June 09, 2015
June 16, 2015
June 17, 2015
July 03, 2015