Planning & Zoning Administration
The Planning & Zoning division is responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of the County Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, shoreland and floodplain regulations; works with the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment to issue conditional use permits, approve development plans and grant variances. The Planning division is also involved with development of Parks & Open Space planning, All Hazard Mitigation planning and Transportation planning.
- Provides professional planning advice and support to the Rice Counties Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment and County Board of Commissioners.
- Reviews all zoning requests including Conditional Use Permits, Variances, and Plats.
- Initiates and processes changes to the zoning ordinance.
- Responsible for comprehensive planning for Rice County.
- Meetings with groups in the county such as Big Woods, Lake Shore Zoning Committee, Cannon River Watershed Partnership, Township Officials and many citizens of the County.
- Site inspection for zoning violations and for all permits.
- Provides direction to the Department including priorities, budget and work programs.