Organizing of the School Districts
Central School, Faribault
Faribault High School (1892)
The Rice County Board of Commissioners held its first meeting in January of 1856. One of the first orders of business was to organize the school districts. They voted that the City of Faribault should be #1, and what was then known as the Drake School (just outside of Northfield) should be #2. They also organized District Nos. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10. Over the course of the year a dozen more districts were created.
At the January 5, 1857, County Board meeting several districts reported their number of students:
District #1 - 268 students; District #2 - 34 students; District #3 - 44 students; District #4 - 36 students; District #6 - 41 students; District #8 - 30 students; District #11 - 30 students; District #12 - 41 students; District #13 - 44 students; District #14 - 74 students; and District #16 - 22 students.
In 1857, the total number of students reported in Rice County totaled 664.
Lonsdale School House
Warsaw School House
Webster School House
By 1930, Rice County had 128 school districts, each of which had at least one school. Ten of the rural schools were run jointly with adjoining counties.
Northfield has traditionally been known for its two distinguished colleges. Carleton College opened its doors in 1867, and St. Olaf followed seven years later in 1874. Carleton at one time published the only magazine in the U.S. devoted exclusively to astronomy, and Ole Rolvaag, author of Giants in the Earth, taught at St. Olaf for many years.
St. Olaf College
Carleton College - Evans Hall (1942)
St. Olaf Steensland Library (1942)
Carleton Football Team (1897)
St. Olaf Chapel (1954)
Carleton Baseball Team (1900)
Mail Wagon at St. Olaf (1916)
Faribault has historically also had a good reputation in the educational field, with many public and parochial schools. Bethlehem Academy was established in 1865 when Alexander Faribault bought the school, a house and a piano. He also donated a cow to the facility.
The most notable of the private schools, though, were founded by the Episcopal Church and the Right Reverend Henry Whipple. Whipple stands out in state history for his humane treatment of Indians. His mission was to convert the Indians to Christianity, and he won enough trust from them to be known as "Straight Tongue."
Bishop Henry B. Whipple came to Faribault in 1859. As the First Bishop of Minnesota, Bishop Whipple built The Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour in 1862.
In a small rented building in Faribault, Minnesota, The Rev. Dr. James Lloyd Breck established the Episcopal mission school and seminary from which Shattuck-St. Mary's has developed and prospered. Bishop Whipple took over the reins of the school, changing Breck's ambitious plan for "Bishop Seabury University" into something more realistic.
By 1866, more room was needed and, through Dr. George Cheyne Shattuck of Boston, Shattuck Hall was built specifically for the boys. Soon the grammar school itself became known as "Shattuck." That same year, Bishop Whipple opened a school for girls, "St. Mary's" Hall. The girls remained there until 1872 when the Bishop moved to a new house and St. Mary's Hall was turned over to a Board of Trustees.
Shattuck-St. Mary's Entrance
In 1872, the Chapel of the Good Shepherd was built through the generosity of Augusta Shumway of Chicago. Though she lost all her property in the great Chicago Fire, she kept her promise to build a chapel for "the Bishop's boys' school" by sending Whipple her insurance checks. With its rare, all-stone spire, it became the focal point of the Shattuck campus
Considered one of the finest examples of English Gothic architecture in the Upper Midwest, the Chapel’s steeple is one of only a few in the U.S. constructed of stone. The chapel is constructed of blue limestone, quarried at the south edge of Shattuck’s campus. Interior features include a monastic pew arrangement (all pews face the center aisle) and stained glass windows designed and cut by Carvers of London.
Students of Bishop Whipple (1860)
St. Mary's School
St. Mary's Class of 1895
Shattuck Baseball Club (1874)
Shattuck Football Team (1907)
There are no events scheduled at this time.