How do I dispose of yard waste?

Minnesota law forbids the landfilling of yard waste such as leaves, grass clippings and brush. Minnesotans are encouraged to either compost yard waste at home or bring it to a community compost site. Rice County residents can bring their yard waste to any of the community compost sites listed below or to the Solid Waste facility free of charge.


Faribault – 214 NE 14 Street, (507) 334-2222

Lonsdale – 7480 Garfield Avenue, (507) 744-2327

Morristown – 24501 Hamel Trail, (507) 685-2302

Northfield – 1801 Armstrong Road, (507) 645-8833

For information on backyard composting and options for building compost structures, go to the Yard Waste page (