Health Promotion & Wellness
Promoting Healthy Communities
Rice County Public Health offers a wide variety of health education programs for schools, worksites, and community groups. Staff members work collaboratively with many organizations and groups in the community to create policies, systems, and environmental changes which promote and protect the health of the residents of Rice County.
Fun Ways to Get Moving Everyday!
Each month, the Get Moving Today Activity Calendar is chock-full of creative ways to get kids (and the adults in their lives!) to move in different ways. The calendar provides fun, innovative suggestions perfect for home or classroom. Download a copy today!
Health Promotion Activities
Topics which Public Health staff may provide information and resources include:
- Chronic Disease Prevention – asthma, cancer, diabetes
- Tobacco Use Cessation – prevention activities, carbon monoxide monitor, QUITPLAN Minnesota
- Diet and Nutrition- nutrition education, community gardens, farmers markets
- Healthy Home Environments-home assessments and education
- Sun Safety – use of Dermascan to show sun damage
- Health Care Access – help for underinsured and uninsured in accessing health care in Rice County
- Home Safety- home safety instruction for injury and fall prevention
- Indoor Air quality – radon, environmental tobacco smoke, mold
- Physical Activity and Healthy Weight- promotion of parks and recreation, non-motorized transportation, healthy lifestyle
- Radon Awareness and Testing
Statewide Health Improvement Program
Rice County receives grant funding from the Minnesota Department of Health to prevent chronic disease associated with obesity and tobacco use. More information may be found on our Healthy Rice County website at http://www.healthyricecounty.org
Go Southeast MN
Click on the following to view GoSoutheastMN
Go Southeast MN is your guide to walking and biking routes, parks, farmers markets and other resources in Southeast Minnesota communities that support healthy living.
Mobile applications are also available. Go to the iPhone App Store or the Android Market and search for: “Go Southeast MN”
Four Corners Partnership Grant
Rice County works in partnership with Dodge, Steele and Goodhue Counties to help reduce the harm tobacco causes Minnesotans through coalition building, policy advocacy and public education. More information can be found at http://www.4cornerspartnership.org
Click here to read the latest edition of Smoke Free News