Health Promotion & Wellness
Promoting Healthy Communities
Rice County Public Health offers a wide variety of health education programs for schools, worksites, and community groups. Staff members work collaboratively with many organizations and groups in the community to create policies, systems, and environmental changes which promote and protect the health of the residents of Rice County.
Statewide Health Improvement Program (SHIP)
Rice County receives grant funding from the Minnesota Department of Health to prevent chronic disease associated with obesity and tobacco use. For more information on SHIP
Tobacco Information and Resources
Did you know that 70% of smokers want to quit? Click here to view a short video about free QUITPLAN Services.
Four Corners Partnership Grant: Rice County works in partnership with Dodge, Steele and Goodhue Counties to help reduce the harm tobacco causes Minnesotans through coalition building, policy advocacy and public education. More information can be found at http://www.4cornerspartnership.org
Click here to read the latest edition of Smoke-Free News
Smoke-Free Foster Care educational video produced by the Minnesota Department of Health to help educate foster parents on smoke-free foster care laws and assistance.
Click here to view the newly launched website of the American Lung Association in Minnesota
Health Promotion Activities
Topics Public Health staff can provide health information on or resources about:
- Chronic Disease Prevention – asthma, cancer, diabetes
- Tobacco Use Cessation – prevention activities, carbon monoxide monitor, QUITPLAN Minnesota
- Mental Health – promotion activities, resources
- U of M Children, Youth and Family Consortium Video "Mental Health: Yours, Mine and Ours"
- Diet and Nutrition – nutrition education, community gardens, farmers markets
- Healthy Home Environments – home assessments and education; click here for more information
- Sun Safety – use of Dermascan to show sun damage
- Health Care Access – help for underinsured and uninsured in accessing health care in Rice County
- Home Safety – home safety instruction for injury and fall prevention
- Indoor Air quality – radon, environmental tobacco smoke, mold (scroll down for more information regarding tobacco work and air quality)
- Physical Activity and Healthy Weight – promotion of parks and recreation, non-motorized transportation, healthy lifestyle
Air Quality Information
BeAirAwareMN.org is a website to help you protect your health and improve air quality. It provides information on indoor and outdoor air quality, tips on what you can do to improve air quality, and links to data on air quality and health outcomes in Minnesota. Real-time data available about air quality conditions in Minnesota for common pollutants including fine particles and ozone. This website is jointly maintained by the Minnesota Department of Health and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
There are no events scheduled at this time.