Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Section 8?

Currently the waiting list is closed, so we are not accepting applications.

When the waiting list reopens an announcement will be posted on the Housing webpage.

When the waiting list is open individuals and families wishing to apply for the Section 8 Program will be required to complete an application for housing assistance.

  • Applications may be made in person and will be accepted during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at the Housing Office - 320 NW 3rd Street, Faribault, MN 55021.
  • Applications will be mailed to interested families upon request.
  • Completed applications will be accepted from all applicants.

The completed application will be date and time stamped upon its return to the Housing Office. All applications will be placed on the waiting list in order of preference and then in order of date and time the application was received.

What are Waiting List Preferences?

Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available, long waiting periods are common. Housing Authorities may establish a local preference system for selecting applicants from its waiting list. The RCHRA has established a local preference system to reflect the housing needs and priorities of our county.

Under this system:

  • Families that have permanent, sole place of residency in Rice County or have a household member that works in Rice County at the time of original application will be given five preference points.
  • If an applicant who was not a Rice County resident at the time they submitted their initial application, subsequently moves to Rice County, their local preference will take effect on the date that they notify the RCHRA of the move, not the date of the original application.
  • The RCHRA may not establish a minimum term of occupancy for residency.

In addition, working, elderly or disabled families will be given one preference point.

*If claiming a preference, proof of preference must be provided to the housing office when submitting an application.

What changes am I required to report if I am receiving Section 8?

All Section 8 recipients are required to report the following:

  • Change to income (increase or decrease)
  • Change in family composition (birth/adoption/court awarded custody of a child or a household member moves out)
  • If your family is planning to be away from the rental unit for 30- days or longer.

How do I report changes to the Section 8 Program?

All changes in household income must be reported in writing within 10 days of the change.  Written changes can be: dropped off at the Housing Office or mailed to RCHRA 320 NW 3rd Street, Faribault, MN 55021.

Not all changes will result in a change in the tenant rent; however, the HRA requires changes to be reported timely so it can be determined whether or not an adjustment should be made.

What do I need to do to add an Additional Member to my Household/Voucher?

Section 8 participants must obtain prior approval from the HRA and Owner/Landlord before adding an additional adult member to the household.  If an additional member is approved, the rent portion will be recalculated incorporating all household income.

Participants must notify the HRA in writing within 10 days of the birth, adoption, or court awarded custody of a child.  Written changes can be: dropped off at the Housing Office or mailed to RCHRA 320 NW 3rd Street, Faribault, MN 55021.

What do I need to do to Move into a New Apartment with my Voucher?

If you are interested in moving please contact the HRA office for specific details.  Do Not sign a new lease without prior approval from the HRA office.

How do I become a Section 8 Landlord?

Becoming a Section 8 Landlord is an easy process – your rental unit must pass a Housing Quality Standard (HQS) inspection(PDF) and you must be willing to enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract with the HRA.

Section 8 participants are free to rent from any Owner/Landlord who is willing to work with the Section 8 program - there is not a preapproved Owner/Landlord list.  If a Section 8 voucher holder has contacted you about renting a unit and you would like more information about the program or the HQS inspection please contact the HRA office at 507-333-3787 or 507-333-3782.

The Owner/Landlord Handbook (PDF) may also be a helpful tool for understanding the Section 8 program.

How do I obtain Emergency Assistance?

The HRA does not have funding available for emergency assistance.  Refer to the Rice County Community Resource Numbers (PDF) list for other agencies that maybe able to provide assistance.

Where can I get a listing of available apartments?

The Housing Office does maintain an Apartment Listing (PDF) of private market rental properties in Rice County.

Additional listings can also be found in the Housing Office, 320 NW 3rd Street, Faribault, MN 55021.

While due care has been exercised in compiling this listing, we cannot be responsible for errors or omissions.

How will I find out when my name reaches the top of the Waiting List?

A formal notification will be sent to you in the mail.  All letters will be sent to the address you have provided to us on your original application.  It is very important you notify the HRA of all address changes in writing.  Written changes can be: dropped off at the Housing Office or mailed to RCHRA 320 NW 3rd Street, Faribault, MN 55021.

Failure to update your address may result in your name being removed from the waiting list.  The HRA is required to mail/send notices, but is not required to ensure delivery.  The HRA will assume that mail was delivered if it is not returned by the Post Office.