Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) Outreach
Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) is a benefit for children and teens from newborn through the age of 20 years who are enrolled in Medical Assistance or Minnesota Care.
This program connects children enrolled in a Medical Assistance Program with medical and dental service providers and offers information regarding child development, health and safety, and community resources. Check out the most recent Child & Teen Checkups Monthly Newsletter (PDF)
The purpose of this comprehensive well child examination is:
- To identify potential health problems or d
- ebilitating conditions;
- To provide diagnosis and treatment of those health problems or conditions; and
- To encourage the development of good health habits
Why Preventive health care is so important to child growth
- Well-child exams help keep children healthy. They increase positive outcomes for the children that receive them and decrease future healthcare bills and costs.
- Health Problems are found and treated early and more serious problems are prevented.
- Healthy children are ready to learn.
- Children and families learn at each well child exam about healthy lifestyles and saftey habits, how to reduce risky behaviors, and appropriate use of medical facilities.
Each C&TC exam includes:
- Information about thoughts, feelings and relationships with others
- Questions and answers about your child's health and development
- Health History
- Physical Exam
- Growth and Measurement
- Immunization Review
- Lab Tests
- Hearing and Vision
- Developmental Surveillance and Screening
- Social Emotional /Child Mental Health Surveillance and Screening
- Postpartum Maternal Depression Screen (Recommended at child visits during first year)
- Dental Referral (at the eruption of the first tooth and no later than 12 months of age)
- Fluoride Varnish (Recommended)
Well Child Checkups should be performed at these ages:
- 0-1 month
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
- 15 months
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 8 years
- 10 years
- 12 years
- 14 years
- 16 years
- 18 years
- 20 years
Where to get Child and Teen Checkups:
- Your doctor or clinic.
- The Child and Teen Checkups Provider List contains contact information about clinics located in Rice County that perform Child and Teen Checkups, as well as helpful numbers for dental services and transportation issues.
For more information or questions
- Contact Rice County Child and Teen Checkups Coordinator Laura Jensen at 507-332-5918
- Minnesota Department of Health website or the Minnesota Department of Human Services website.
Information for Providers
- Rice County Provider Update
- Provider Manual
- Minnesota Health Care Programs Provider news, Child and Teen Checkup section
- FACT Sheets
- Provider Resources
- Recommended C&TC Developmental and Social Emotional Screening Instruments
- C&TC Visit Documentation Forms
- Immunizations: MDH (for healthcare providers , for school health personel ) Got your Shots
- New 2014 School immunization Requirements ( Minnesota Immunization Rule Revisions, MDH Website)
- When to Get Vaccines Birth to 16 Years (the latest 12/2013 updated version)
- Are your Kids Ready? Minnesota's Immunization Law (the latest 10/2013 updated version)