Applications for passports are now being taken by appointment only. Please call us at (507) 332-6114. Processing times are from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Make sure before you arrive that your passport application has been completed in black ink. Do NOT sign the application. When printing, make sure that each page is printed on one side .
- A certified birth certificate is required (can be obtained from the Recorder’s Office for a $26 fee if the applicant was born in Minnesota) or your U.S. Naturalization document. A certified copy has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.
- A passport photo is required. (can be obtained from the Recorder’s Office for a $15 fee)
- A valid I.D. and a photocopy of your valid I.D. must be presented at time of applying. (Photocopy must be on plain white, 8 ½” x 11” standard paper stock, showing the front and back of your I.D. Photocopy must contain images on only one-side of each page submitted.)
- A check or money order is required for each individual application made out to the US Department of State.
- Execution fees can be paid by cash, check or money order. Payable to Rice County Recorder.
The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card cannot be used for International air travel.
Passport books and cards are alternatives to a state-issued I.D. You may apply for a passport book and card at the same time and pay 1 execution fee.
You can download and fill out the Passport Application before visiting the Recorder’s Office.
For more information you can go to
Travel State Website
Please note – ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPEAR IN PERSON!
NEVER DESTROY OR MUTILATE A FEDERAL PASSPORT, IT IS FEDERAL PROOF THAT YOU ARE A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES.