Child & Teen Check-Ups
Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) is a benefit for children and teens from newborn through the age of 20 years who are enrolled in Medical Assistance or Minnesota Care.
This program connects children enrolled in a Medical Assistance Program with medical and dental service providers and offers information regarding child development, health and safety, and community resources. You can view our most recent Child and Teen CheckUps Newsletter.
The Purpose of this Comprehensive Well Child Examination is:
- To identify potential health problems or debilitating conditions;
- To provide diagnosis and treatment of those health problems or conditions; and
- To encourage the development of good health habits.
Why Preventive Health Care is so Important to Child Growth:
- Well-child exams help keep children healthy. They increase positive outcomes for the children that receive them and decrease future healthcare bills and costs.
- Health problems are found and treated early and more serious problems are prevented.
- Healthy children are ready to learn and develop.
- Children and families learn at each well child exam about healthy lifestyles and safety habits, how to reduce risky behaviors, and appropriate use of medical facilities.
Each C&TC Exam Includes:
- Information about thoughts, feelings and relationships with others
- Questions and answers about your child's health and development
- Health History
- Physical Exam
- Growth and Measurement
- Immunization Review
- Lab Tests
- Hearing and Vision
- Developmental Surveillance and Screening
- Social Emotional /Child Mental Health Surveillance and Screening
- Postpartum Maternal Depression Screen (Recommended at child visits during first year)
- Dental Referral (at the eruption of the first tooth and no later than 12 months of age)
- Fluoride Varnish (Recommended)
- Mental Health Screenings (for ages 2-20 years)
Well Child Checkups Should Be Performed at These Ages:
- 0-1 month
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
- 15 months
- 18 months
- 24 months
- 30 months
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- 11 years
- 12 years
- 13 years
- 14 years
- 15 years
- 16 years
- 17 years
- 18 years
- 19 years
- 20 years
Where to Get Child & Teen Checkups:
- Your doctor or clinic.
- The Child & Teen Checkups Provider List (PDF) contains contact information about clinics located in Rice County that perform Child and Teen Checkups, as well as helpful numbers for dental and transportation services.
- Child & Teen Dental Provider List (PDF)